Mixed Berry Bread Pudding is a delicious overnight dessert, made with day old French or Italian bread, strawberries, boysenberries, raspberries and blueberries; and topped with a sweet blueberry sauce that will feed a crowd for breakfast or brunch!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
12 slices day-old French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
16 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes (Can use light)
1 ½ cups frozen Sujon Mixed Berries (can always use other favourite Sujon berries here!)
½ cup raisins
2Tbspn Custard Powder
2 cups milk (can use coconut or almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tbspn honey (can also use maple syrup)
1 cup frozen Sujon blueberries (can always use other favourite Sujon berries here!)
½ cup water/ OR apple/orange juice if you want sweeter sauce
2 tsp tapioca powder (can use arrowroot instead)
Optional – 2 Tbspn honey (can also use maple syrup)
- Bread: Grease casserole dish. Put half the bread cubes into the dish and top with the cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 ½ cups of mixed berries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes and raisens.
- Custard: Mix custard powder and sugar with ¼ cup (60mL) of the milk in a saucepan, stir until mixed in then add 1 ¾ cups milk (440ml) into the custard mixture. Heat to boiling, then simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir constantly. Pour over the bread cubes, cool first. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until centre is firm and surface is lightly browned.
- Blueberry Sauce: Place the blueberries and water (or juice) In a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until bubbling. Slightly smash some of the blueberries with the back of a fork. In a small bowl, stir together the arrowroot powder and 1 Tbs. of water. Remove the saucepan of berries from the heat. While stirring constantly, add the arrowroot mixture into the blueberry mixture pour over the baked French toast. Sprinkle some of your favourite nuts on top & serve.
Find your nearest Sujon Frozen Berries stockist here:
Purchase Sujon Blackcurrant Powder Direct
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter